Pages

Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Banana Crumb Muffins



Hi there! I want to start off by apologizing for being so absent recently. I was going through one of those stages where I just wanted to get food on the table...and it was nothing inspired, let me tell you! I'm sure you all know how that feels. Poor Eric was truly suffering (not!); he's probably the world's least picky eater. In truth, he would be satisfied to just snack around all day. Anyway, I'm happy to say that I'm back and have lots of delicious recipes planned to share with you! 


The first is a wonderful banana crumb muffin. This muffin is truly delightful! It's wonderfully tender and moist. I may or may not have eaten three of them while taking pictures...


{insert smugly satisfied face here...whatever that looks like!}




To me, bananas are one of the most versatile of all the fruits. I mean, they are good just about any way you want to have them! Now me, I like to buy mine while they are still a little green. This is the only way I'll eat them plain. I hate strongly dislike eating over-ripe bananas just by themselves. But, once they become too ripe for me to eat (i.e. once they are all yellow) I cut them up in my cereal or oatmeal, which is delicious! I also love them blended with some greek yogurt (peach is my favorite) for a filling and healthy smoothie. Another thing I like absolutely love is to make "ice cream" with them! If your interested in how I do that, write me a comment below and I'd love to share it with you!


Needless to say, I go through a LOT of bananas. I buy at least 7-8 a week. And to be honest, I eat most of them myself. Eric's not much of a fruit person. Unless, of course, I cut it up and bring it to the couch for a snack. He then loves to entertain himself with sneaking multiple bites while I'm "not looking". Why this is so fun for him, I'll never know. But, I digress. On to the recipe!


I first came upon this recipe several years ago. Not being all that experienced with changing out ingredients to make it healthier, I made it as written. Now, looking back, I shudder to think that I put over a cup of sugar in these puppies! Yes, they were delicious, but more suited to eat for dessert rather than the most important meal of the day. While I made several changes (taking out most of the sugar, reducing the butter, subbing in white whole wheat flour, and adding spices) they are just as good!! The wonderful thing about way over-ripened bananas (like the ones that have black spots on them) is that the natural fructose in them has increased, making them very sweet on their own. The crumb topping on them is just a wonderful way to add that extra-special touch. Try these! I know you won't regret it!!


Banana Crumb Muffins
adapted from allrecipes.com
makes 10 muffins


Ingredients:
   For the muffins:
1 1/2 cup white whole wheat flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
3/4 tsp. cinnamon
3 bananas, mashed
1/4 cup white sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/4 cup butter, melted
1 tsp. vanilla


   For the crumb topping:
2 Tbsp. flour
1 Tbsp. oats
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
1 Tbsp. butter, softened
2 tsp. brown sugar


Directions:
-Preheat oven to 375° F. Lightly grease 10 regular size muffin cups, or line with cupcake/muffin liners.
-In a large bowl, mix together flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, nutmeg, and cinnamon. 
-In another bowl, mash bananas. {I like to keep mine a bit lumpy so I have chunks of banana in the muffin. Purely preferential; do what you like the best!} Add both sugars, egg, butter, and vanilla. Make sure to mix well. You want a homogenous mixture. 
-Add banana mixture to the flour mixture. Stir until just moistened. Do not over-mix or your muffins will not rise. It's good for there to be some lumps!
-Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups. Try to make it evenly distributed so you have a consistent bake time on all your muffins. I used my biggest batter scoop. 
-In a small bowl, mix together all of the ingredients of the crumb topping. Cut in the butter so that it looks like coarse crumbs. You may or may not have to add more flour/sugar to achieve this. I used my fingers to cut it all together and help it get crumbly because I didn't want to add a bunch of sugar (the original recipe called for 1/3 cup!). 
-Sprinkle crumb topping across the tops of your muffins. 
-Bake for 17-19 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. 


Nutrition Facts: 1 serving = 1 muffin
Calories: 209 Carbs: 36 g Fiber: 3.4 g Fat: 7.5 g Protein: 4 g

Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment