Pages

Thursday, February 2, 2012

Oat Pancakes



My beloved husband went on a business trip this past week and I just had to send him off with a full belly to ensure that he had something to remember me by!   :)   Right away, I knew it had to be pancakes. He loves nothing better than a big stack of pancakes to start his morning. While he's not generally a breakfast eater, he has always made an exception for fresh flapjacks. Before we met, the standard was pancakes the size of Texas made with white flour and topped with gobs of maple-flavored syrup. Needless to say, he made these himself! Surprisingly, he is a very good pancake-flipper, which is indeed a coveted skill to possess. But, I've been practicing my skills (both the flipping and the making) and I'm happy to say that I have successfully converted him to the healthier version: oat pancakes.


Before you start thinking, "Wait a minute, my kids/husband would never go for pancakes not made with white flour", consider this: I have possibly the world's pickiest little brothers, both of whom have given their stamp of approval on this recipe. In fact, they gobbled up 4 pancakes each, and would have eaten more if we hadn't already eaten the whole batch! So, give it a try! If they turn up their noses, oh well, more for you! On that note, these are fantastic the next day if you just pop them into the toaster. They'll taste just like they are fresh out of the skillet!


As far as toppings go, if it sounds good, go for it! Eric likes his with butter and maple syrup, while I like mine with some sliced banana. My uber-picky brother only eats his with blueberry syrup and freshly sliced strawberries. And I LOVE leftovers with a drizzle of maple syrup and a sprinkle of cinnamon sugar. YUM!!!

Oat Pancakes
makes approximately 11 pancakes
adapted from The Kitchen Sink

Ingredients:
3/4 cup quick-cooking oats (I used old-fashioned)
1 1/2 cups plus 2 tablespoons buttermilk*, divided
3/4 cup whole-wheat flour
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
3/4 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/8 tsp. grated nutmeg
1/2 tsp. salt
1 large egg
1 Tbsp. unsalted butter, melted


Directions:
- Soak the oats in 3/4 cup of the buttermilk. Let stand for 10 minutes.
- While the oats are soaking, you can whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt in a big bowl. This will be the bowl you mix everything else in.
- When the oats are done soaking, put them and the rest of the ingredients in with the flour mixture. Mix until just combined. Do not over-mix! Set aside. 
Heat your griddle over medium heat (I like to put my dial on 4). When a drop of water bubbles up and "dances", your griddle is ready. Place a small dot of butter in the center of each pancake spot on your griddle. Help the butter to melt out in a circle approximately the shape of your pancake. This will give you a nice crispy edge on your pancake. 
- Pour 1/4 cup of batter onto each butter circle. Here's my tip for knowing when to flip: If I stick my spatula under the edge and it stays firm, it's ready! If it turns under a little, wait a few more seconds. I find this ensures I that have great color on my pancakes.
- Another tip: watch your heat. About 1/3 of the way through my batch, I turned down my dial to 2. The last thing we want is burnt pancakes that are still raw on the inside! Also, I butter in between each pancake because I like the color and the crispy edge. If you're concerned about the added fat, you can use cooking spray or skip it all together!


* To make 1 cup of buttermilk, measure 1 Tbsp. vinegar or lemon juice and then add enough milk to make 1 cup. Let it sit for about 5 minutes and you're good to go!


Nutrition Facts: 1 serving = 1 pancake
Calories: 78 Carbohydrates: 10 grams Fat: 2 grams Protein: 4 grams
*facts do not include toppings or butter on skillet

Enjoy!!

3 comments:

  1. I'm going to make these tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Max had 4 of these this morning! Very good...nice texture. I used grapeseed oil in place of butter, just because we like it. Thanks for a great recipe:-)

      Delete
    2. Glad they were a hit! Grapeseed oil is a great butter replacement if you have it :)

      Thanks for checking in with a review!! I like to hear how my recipes work for other people!

      Delete