Pages

Saturday, January 4, 2014

Whole 30 Day 1

Day 1 went by painlessly, just as predicted on Whole30's timeline. My meals were planned out, and they kept me full and satisfied for a surprising amount of time. So what exactly DID I eat? I'm glad you asked.

(Sorry there's no picture of breakfast...I forgot to take one.)

Breakfast was 2 egg rollups with grass-fed salami (just a fried egg rolled up with a piece of salami). Prior to Whole30, I would have a toasted Ezekial sprouted English muffin, one half smeared with goat cheese topped with a piece of salami and a fried egg, the other half smeared with lots of butter and homemake apple butter. SO YUMMY! (But wait, I'm not here to promote that kind of eating! Oops.) My point is that the egg rollup was surprisingly good and actually kept me full for about 5 hours! That is amazing, considering that I used to think I needed those carbs to make a meal last. I did not, however, have any vegetables to accompany my breakfast. Call me weird normal, but vegetables with breakfast? That one's going to take a bit of work.



Lunch was 2 hard-boiled eggs (done perfectly, thankyouverymuch, from the help of nom nom paleo) topped with sliced salami and LO sauteed cabbage. YUMMMM. Seriously. I could probably eat cabbage every meal for the rest of my life and still be in love with it. Except breakfast. Seriously? Vegetables for breakfast??




Dinner was pan-seared salmon with a mango avocado salsa (again, nom nom paleo) and roasted brussels sprouts. We seared up enough salmon for the next 2-3 days last night (thank you, Costco) so I'll be chowing down on that amazing stuff for the foreseeable future. Oh, and the delicious-looking salsa? YES, it is as delicious as it looks, and you should probably head on over there for the recipe! Tip: fresh mango was not to be found at our regular grocery store, but frozen mango was. It worked just as well, and BONUS! it was already cut up. 

Aside from those three meals, I did have a small snack while Mr. Honestly Delightful and I were out running around town. It consisted of an Apple Pie Larabar (can you say amazing!?) and about 1/2 cup of frozen bananas & mangos. Yes, frozen. My snack came right after our trip to the grocery store. Hey, shopping for food and not eating any? Not gonna happen! At least they were Whole 30 compliant. 

Sidenote: Yes, larabars are whole 30 compliant, BUT they suggest that you eat them sparingly. Why? Well, they're packed with carbs and sugar, of course! Plus, they taste basically like a fruity candy bar. Delicious? Yes. Addicting? Oh yeah! And the whole point of the Whole 30 is to get your body and brain OFF of the addicting substance that is sugar. 

So, to wrap it up, my first day of Whole 30 went splendidly. We have lots of left-overs to enjoy for tomorrow and I'm still looking forward to finding out how my body does sans dairy, bread, and sugar. We'll see if/how that changes in the coming days!

What about you? Are you ready to give Whole 30 a shot? 



No comments:

Post a Comment