Pages

Saturday, January 14, 2012

Lemon Curd Drop Cookies


My husband and I have very different tastes when it comes to dessert. If we go for ice cream, he normally goes for sorbets and fruit flavors, while I go for things filled with chocolate and cookie dough (and calories, but hey, it's treat!). Most of the time, this makes me feel guilty; I know sorbets and fruit flavors are typically the smarter choice, and therefore the one I should make. But I just can't help it! Don't get me wrong--I love fruit and fruit flavored things just as much as anyone else. But when faced with the decision of chocolate or the better-for-me sorbet, chocolate ALWAYS wins out.


Things brings me to the Lemon Curd Drop Cookies. They are absolutely Delicious, with a capitol D. And while I will eat one or two, Eric will eat 10 or more. Which is good, because that means I will have less staring at me from across the room.



Lemon Curd Drop Cookies
makes 2 dozen
adapted from Simply Sweet by The Pampered Chef


Ingredients:
1/2 cup butter (1 stick), softened
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 egg yolk
1 tsp. vanilla
1 1/4 cup flour (I used white whole-wheat with fantastic results)
1/4 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1-2 Tbsp. milk
powdered sugar (optional)*
1/4 cup lemon curd (approximately)


Directions:
-Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper or silpat (I used my silpat).
-In your mixer bowl, beat the butter and sugar until creamy. Add the egg yolk and vanilla; beat until light and fluffy.
-While beating, combine the flour, baking powder, and salt in a separate bowl; mix well.
-Gradually add flour mixture to the butter mixture while mixing on low speed. Then, add in the milk just until a dough forms. For me, this happened after about 2 Tbsp. of milk. Do not over-beat!
-Roll the dough into small balls, using about 1 tsp. of dough for each cookie. I used my smallest dough scoop for this. If desired, you can then roll each ball into the powered sugar before placing it on the cookie sheet. You can place them relatively close together; they didn't spread much for me.
-Make a small indentation in the center of each ball using the tip of your finger. Fill the indentation with lemon curd. You can do this by putting the lemon curd in a pastry bag or a ziplock bag and cut off the tip. I didn't feel like getting my pastry bag dirty for such a small task, so I used the ziplock method.
-Bake the cookies for 11-13 minutes or until the bottoms of the cookies just begin to brown. I found 12 minutes to be just right for me. Let the cookies rest on the cookie sheet for 5 minutes after taking them out of the oven, and then place them on a cooling rack to cool completely. This last part is optional; the "cool completely" thing never happens in our house ;)


* I made one batch rolled in the powered sugar and one without to see if it actually made a difference in the taste or texture. Neither Eric or I could tell a difference, so feel free to skip this part completely if you wish!


Nutrition Facts: 1 serving = 1 cookie
Calories: 61 Carbs: 5 grams Fat: 4 grams Protein: 1 gram


Enjoy!!

4 comments:

  1. These sound delicious! Can you post the recipe for the Lemon Curd; I've never made it before...Great pictures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! :)

      I've always wanted to make my own lemon curd! Maybe I'll feature a recipe sometime this summer. However, in this recipe, I used jarred lemon curd; you can easily find it in the jelly/peanut butter section of you local grocery store.

      Delete
  2. Nice. They look really good!

    ReplyDelete